Friday 12 October 2012

Perfection is a Myth

Today I would like to welcome Electa Graham who has provided today's Guest Blog.


Perfection is a Myth By Electa Graham

I am a mother of 2, a farmer, a wife, a writer, a caretaker to one big goofy dog, 3 cats and about 5 or 6 thousand worms (give or take they never fill out the census form).  Those are just my main jobs. My husband is in the navy and when he is deployed I add father to that list. So how do I get everything done? Wow, I had you going for a second didn’t I? I don’t get everything done.
   I’m happy when my house is clean enough that if someone drops  by unannounced I don’t have to hide in my bathroom until they go away, because my house is too messy to let anyone in. I’m happy when my laundry is clean, being put away is just a bonus. I’m happy when I have time to pick all the veggies that are ready or I have time to keep the weeds down to a small meadow. I’m happy when I get more writing done in the morning then I expect to.
   There was a time when I tried to have everything perfect and get as much done as possible every day. It was too stressful and it felt like an exercise in daily failure. So instead of telling you how to get everything done on some mythical impossible list, I’m going to tell you how to get enough done that life doesn’t feel like you are drowning in a sea of to-dos.
   First rule don’t feel guilty about asking for help. My kids (age 7 and 11) have chores and not token take the garbage out once a week kind of chore. My kids are in charge of the dishes (washing, drying, loading and unloading the dishwasher, setting and clearing the table). They put away their clothes, keep their rooms clean (well mostly) feed out pets and take out the compost bin. My husband does his fair share around here too.
   Rule number two, do the critical stuff first. Everything that can wait…well can wait.
   Rule number three, I write every morning from 8 until 1030. If I get in more writing time that is a bonus, but that is my time. Writing could always be put off, which is why I have a set time for doing it.
Rule number four, is the most important of them all, time must be set aside for you and for family. Husband time is when the kids go to bed. Kid time is just after supper. Me time is an hour everyday where I do what I want. Might sound indulgent, but if I had a 9 to 5 job I’d get breaks there.
So for all those type A’s out there who are cringing at my willy-nilly approach to my day, I say phffft. I may not be perfect, but I am perfectly happy (most days, after my coffee).

No comments:

Post a Comment